Are you a habitual snacker? Do you spend more time justifying your indulgences than considering how to better manage your treats? Well we’ve been talking about this over in my Facebook group, Uncommon Sense Physique. Here’s what I had to say on the topic.
When you pop that snack in your mouth, in almost all such situations, there is one simple reality.
That the individual–in this case my beautiful wife–wants/seeks the joy of eating the [insert favorite snack food] more than they want [insert desired outcome here].
Worse still, we’ve also found all sorts of ways to make this okay – to rationalize our decision.
- “It’s just one chocolate.”
- “Life’s too short to not have a treat.”
- “It’s been a long day and I just don’t want to think about it.”
- “I had a salad for lunch.”
- “I worked out today, I can afford this.”
- “I’ll work this off at the gym tomorrow.”
This is but a partial list, a list we could probably expand indefinitely. But you get the idea. Can you spot the theme?